For directional surveying and navigation we use Measurement While Drilling (MWD) system. Data is transmitted to the surface via positive pulse - short-time drops of mud pressure produced by the MWD system.
In addition to directional surveying, our MWD system also helps us to perform the following measurements:
- Directional gamma-logging (measures the natural radioactivity of formations in a specific direction);
- Resistivity logging while drilling with tool sizes of 95 mm, 121 mm or 171 mm.
Advantages of the MWD system:
- High accuracy of measurements;
- High-speed data transmission that helps to reduce time required for surveying;
- Wide range of mud flow rates;
- Wireline retrievable to minimize the risk of being lost in the well;
- Low battery consumption resulting in fewer trips and reduced battery expenditures;
- Unique and innovative rotary-to-linear drive system eliminates inefficient and failure prone solenoids.